I meant to write this a while ago, but there’s still a week until Halloween so I can squeeze this post in before it’s too late.
Halloween is a fun time of year, but especially for the fashion savvy girl. It can be a time for her to really show her personality. I think for the fashion savvy girl at Halloween, a lot of these items can be found in her closet. It’s everyday items she would wear but stepping it up a bit.
Here are some ideas for the fashion savvy girl to wear at Halloween time.
- Of Course I have to start off with the great Coco Chanel. She is the epitome of style and elegance. Wear a bunch of tweed in black and white, or black and white piped anything, add layers and layers of pearls and you’re good to go. Don’t forget your quilted chain bag to really drive it home. Optional: cigarette
Here is me putting my rabbit in a Chanel shopping bag. I actually might be Chanel for Halloween this year.
2. Any fashion lover dresses up for Audrey Hepburn at least once for Halloween and is forever inspired by her fashion choices daily. Of course the most famous role is, this scene from Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Again wear LBD, lots of pearls, gloves, and tiara and you’re good. Don’t forget the croissant.
If you want to be a little more unique, try a different scene from BAT. Even a different movie. I once saw an Instagram friend dress up as her in the scene when she was in her pajamas and sleeping. I thought it was creative. I think she even made the eye mask. Just get an oversize white shirt, eye mask, and don’t forget Cat.
My favorite scene is when Holly and “Fred” are doing things they have never done for the day. I love her in her orange coat. I used to own a few coats like that. Very fun. Don’t forget the animal mask to really get it right. If you have a boyfriend or a guy friend who would want to dress up as “Fred Baby,” that would be an awesome couples costume idea.
3. Carrie Bradshaw from SATC. She is definitely the epitome of the fashion “it girl.” There’s so many options for this one. Pick a favorite outfit of hers and replicate it. Of course, the opening scene when she’s in the tutu is the most iconic. I like her with her train luggage too. Really you probably have all of what you need in your closet. Put it on like Carrie would. It would make a great group costume too to get all the girls; have each one of your friends dress up as one of the other characters.
4. I think this year dressing up as one of the Chanel’s from “Scream Queens” will be really popular. I love that show and especially the fashion. It’s pretty simple. Pick the one you like the best, or it even could be a group costume again, and channel your inner Chanel (haha great pun, no?). They wear a lot of pastels, tulle, light, ethereal kind of clothes. They love faux fur, white. I like Chanel No. 3 the best. I love her ear muffs. I thought about being her this year.
5. Another really popular costume for the fashion girl is a flapper. I love the 20’s. What a decadent era. You can have a lot of fun with this one. I’ve dresses up as a flapper a few times. It’s my favorite thing to do. Think short dresses, fringe, short hair (you can make it look short by pinning it under), headband across the head with a feather sticking up, pearls pearls pearls, sequins, t-strap heels, etc. Have fun with it.
Here’s some other ideas:
6. Rosie the Riveter: This one is fun. I’ve been her before. Jean overalls or a denimn shirt, red lipstick, and the red scarf with white dots will do the trick.
7. Elle Woods from Legally Blonde: anything pink and don’t forget Bruiser.
8. Any of the girls from Mean Girls or it could be a group costume too. They wear lots of pink too, especially on Wednesdays. Think short, juicy couture, etc.
9. Jenna Lyons of J.Crew: Pull your hair back in a slick low pony, get faux black glasses, wear skinny jeans with stripes and a blazer, or mix prints, like florals with spots, and you will be just like her.
10. Jackie O.: I mean there’s so much you could do with her. To me, the most iconic look is her in that pink Chanel Suit when JFK got shot. It’s my favorite look of hers.
11. Really any of your current favorite fashion icons. Some of mine are Rachel Zoe (think boho, hippie chick, 70s-that’s very her), I love Karl Largerfeld (he only wears black with a hint of white and don’t forget his dark sunglasses and fingerless gloves), Vicotira Beckham is one of my favorites (she wears a lot of sleek sheath dresses, dark sunglasses, and her Birkin bags), Iris Apfel with her giant eye glasses and layers of necklaces,bracelets and fun printed outfits. Donald Drawbertson from Instagram is popular. I saw some people dress up as him and then his instagram photo…how creative and I love his work.
12. Fashion icons of the past too: Edie Sedgwick, Brigitte Bardot, it would be fun to be a painting of Andy’s Warhol’s like his Tomato Soup Can. Both Edie and Brigitte liked stripes.
13. Any of your favorite movie or TV character that is fashionably inclined. Blair Waldorf (bows bows and more bows), Cher from Clueless, Ugly Betty, Margot Helen is a popular one from Royal Tenebaums (fur, dark eyeliner, etc). I just saw Moonrise Kingdom and I think it would be fun to dress us as Suzy. Great movie and I loved the fashion. Get a long sleeved 60s look dress with the Peter Pan Collar, white knee high socks, and don’t forget her suitcase of books. Mindy from the Mindy Project would be good…lots of colors, prints, etc.
14. I love dressing up as Minnie Mouse (all about the polk a dots!) or Dorothy (all about those shoes!). I guess this is kind of the same as your favorite fashionable/tv character.
15. A Pantone Color Swatch…especially from the current year. That would be fun. Just get a piece of white tag board and cut a hole in it. This is a bit of a DIY, but I think it would come together easy
What do you think?
Do any of these ideas interest you?
Let me know what you’re dressing up this year in the comments below.