Oh my word, I am so so so sorry for abandoning you. I can’t believe it’s been a little more than 3 months since I’ve blogged last. Having a full time job and blogging is hard work. For those of you who do that, kudos. I don’t know how you do it. I just get so tired when I get home for work. I can barely get myself in my pajamas.
I hope life has been treating you all well for 2015 and the last part of 2014. I guess we haven’t talked since Thanksgiving. I don’t even remember what I did as it felt so long ago. Oh wait, yes I did. I just had a quiet dinner with my family of four plus my Grandma. My brother does a radio show and he had one that day, so while my Mom was cooking, we all listened to it around the lap top. Ah, just like the good ol’ days…except it was a lap top and not an actual radio. Truth is, you can hear his show on an actual radio. We streamed it online. But that’s beside the point. My brother’s radio show is really cool. He does a lot of old novelty songs and modern ones too. I usually don’t hear it because I’m at work, so it was really fun to hear and see all his hard work. He does one once a week and I’m so proud of him. Then we just ate lots of good food and I had four days off. It was nice to relax. I don’t think I did much Black Friday shopping. I wasn’t much in the mood for it and wanted to avoid the crowds.
Then Christmas time snuck up on me before I knew it. I rarely know what day it is or the date so I was really shocked how fast it came up. That’s the one thing that bothers me about “the holidays.” There isn’t much time in between to enjoy one or the other before the next one shows up. I’m usually not the biggest Christmas fan. I don’t know. It just doesn’t do much for me now that I’m older. But this year was actually a super memorable Christmas. We usually don’t do much because all our family has grown up and moved away. But this year, four out five of my Dad’s sisters came to town and we had a big family celebration at my Grandma’s. My favorite cousins came to town and it was so good seeing them. At the family Christmas party, we did a white elephant gift exchange and had an ugly sweater contest. I have always wanted to go to one but have never gotten invited so I was really excited to participate. I prepared pretty hard core for it. I couldn’t find any ugly sweaters while thrifting because they are so popular this time of year that they are all gone by the time you try to find out. I ended up making one of my own. It will be in the photos below so be sure to look. I ended up finding these cut outs on fabric that were to actually make a sweater. They were like decals you could cut out (pine cones, bows, poinsettias, Christmas birds,etc) and somehow with fusible you can iron them on to make a sweater. I’m not that skilled but I ended up cutting out that stuff or like the instructions or some of the funny sayings and safety pinning them on. It was kind of quirky and funny because I cut out like pictures of the sweater as the finished project or the stuff you’re not technically supposed to use for the sweater, so it was like a sweater within a sweater really. I love when inception transfers to real life. I liked it a lot but I lost. Rude! I guess it wasn’t ugly enough and they didn’t get my concept. It was just a fun time and I really enjoyed Christmas this year. It was cool to hang out with my cousins too. They stayed at a hotel so every night we went back to their hotel and used their hot tub, we played mad amounts of pool and I was amping up my skills quite a bit, we did some thrifting, and just stupid fun stuff. My car broke down a lot with my cousin in there. That was kind of funny but not really but it was still fun. I was having a ton of car troubles at the end of 2014 and that was annoying.
What also made Christmas 2014 memorable is that I bought myself a NEW CAR. I guess I didn’t get it until after January, but it was still like 5 days after Christmas so it was a really cool gift to myself and something I will always remember. I don’t want to say too much about it like the color, year, make, and model because that seems like a good way to get a stalker-haha! But let’s just say, it’s a very nice car and not a used car that is 16 years old like my previous car. It’s just crazy. I never thought I could buy myself a car. I guess that’s hard work for you.
Here are a few other highlights about 2014:
1. I graduated college…finally! It took me about 5 years but I wouldn’t take back any of it.
2. I quit my daycare job of 8 years. It was an end to an era for sure.
3. I saw a lot of cool theater including Broadway’s Wicked (twice-winning 25 dollar tickets one time) and Book Of Mormon (winning third row tickets on my birthday was kind of everything too).
4. Got my first post grad job that I love. I think I’ve mentioned it on here before. I don’t want to say the exact job as to keep some anonymity about myself, but I work in e-commerce for donated goods. If you get my drift, you may know where I work. It’s a fun job and I see a lot of cool items and buy a lot of items there too-haha that gets my in trouble sometimes! Plus I love that I get to do a little writing and take pictures. It’s like blogging and getting paid..which would be cool to be a reality for me someday. I’ve really grown there and met a lot of cool people.
5. I kinda have met somebody. Eeek. That’s all I’m going to say. But it’s exciting.
6. I’ve been paying on those student loans and that feels really good. It’s funny, I’ve paid quite a bit of interest on them and the government actually rewards you when it comes to tax time. Who knew?!? With my luck, I’ll have them paid of when I’m 31 haha!
7. I think I’ve really been growing and changing. I don’t have a lot of specifics but it’s cool. I know in some of my older posts of 2014, I was having a hard time transitioning from “Miss Haley” and “Student Haley” to what I am now (“Post Grad Haley,” maybe??), but I really love this road I’m on and this path I’m taking. I really love my life right now and feel super blessed for everything I have and all that I’ve worked for. It’s really cool to see hard work pay off and getting to a place in my life that I’ve dreamed of. Making your dreams a reality is kind of everything and it makes me think, that even the crazy stuff I’ve dreamed for, like moving to New York, can happen one day.
I guess 2015 isn’t looking to bad for me. I hope it’s shaping up for you. But if it’s not, remember how hard of time I had the first part of 2014? I would honestly say like the first 6 months were kind of rough and I didn’t know what I was doing. I guess really things started to change for me in August 2014 when I got my first post grad job. Let’s look back and you can read some of my struggles and hard times:
Jan 2014: https://aheadbandaday.wordpress.com/2014/01/24/is-there-a-right-choice/
April 2014: https://aheadbandaday.wordpress.com/2014/04/30/what-is-home/ and https://aheadbandaday.wordpress.com/2014/04/17/are-you-ever-really-ready/
May 2014: https://aheadbandaday.wordpress.com/2014/05/30/the-crack-up/ and https://aheadbandaday.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/let-me-let-you-in-on-a-secret/
November 2014: https://aheadbandaday.wordpress.com/2014/11/14/the-crack-up-part-2/
Hey so, if things aren’t going good for you now in 2015, just remember that life is always changing and I really believe that things do get better over time or maybe things get better for you when the timing is right. Or maybe both??
OK! Now that the serious stuff is over, let’s get to the outfits! These aren’t everything as of recent but they should be from about Friday November 14-December 29 2014. I say Friday November 14 because my last blog post, way back when, said the pictures were from up until Thursday November 13. I made these collages On December 29 with the intention of blogging and then never got to them. I’ll try to get the rest of the more recent outfits on here in a few days. Maybe even later today if I’m feeling that motivated. No promises though. Follow me on Insta to see my outfits in “real time.” I try to post there daily. It’s easier.
Most of these clothes are from Target, Gap, Macy’s, maybe Old Navy, some might be vintage, JC Penney, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and a lot are thrifted. Also, I never pay full price for anything.
Oh that last photo is a picture of a “Breakfast At Tiffany’s” record I found while junking. I hopped into this big bucket just to look for it and I found it! It’s probably one of my favorite finds and it works too. Also found a Princess Phone (I’ve wanted one forever), troll, cool sunglasses, and a kate spade sunglass case.
I threw in pictures of my nails too because my friend Paula has been doing them really cool lately. I come up with the ideas and she executes them. She is really good at nails and I’m not. We use Sally Hansen. Most times it’s Full Salon Manicure but some are Hard As Nails. We tried the SH Gel Polish but that stuff is a joke. It doesn’t even last long. The Full Salon stuff lasts way longer.
OK! I think I got everything. Feels good to be semi-caught up.
Did you get anything at the last kate spade 75% off sale?? I think it was just last week. Was there anything good? I actually ended up not even looking which is good for me. I’ve got those student loans to pay, car payment now, and I went out of town last week. I did get a purple kate spade-the little primrose hill one with the bow and long strap- at Nordstrom Rack last week. I should share a picture in the next post.